Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Rage Against the Machine

The video card on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite P105-S6227) died on Friday. The very same laptop where all my work, art, and project files are stored. This happened one day before a new freelance client I've been working with sent me a bunch a files to put on her site, and two days before a former client asked me to make a 'quick change' to his site.

The manufacturer's warranty on the laptop ran out a year ago, good thing I paid $200 for that extended warranty from Circuit Ci- . . . oh, right. F$@%! That's what I get for breaking my own rule: Never ever, ever, EVER buy an extended warranty - especially on electronics that will be obsolete in 2 years.

So I called Toshiba to see if the video card was integrated into the motherboard or if it could be replaced/upgraded. I was told that the 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 was replaceable, but had to be purchased through some official vendor in New York.

Here's how the call to the distributor went:

Me: So, you can send me a new video card?

Sales Rep (in a noticeable New Yawker accent):
It should arrive by Tuesday.

Me:
I'll get it Tuesday, then?

Rep:
No, we'll get it Tuesday. You should get it Thursday.

Me:
Wait, I thought you sold the part.

Rep:
We distribute the parts - that's what distributors do?

Me:
Lemme get this straight - I call Toshiba, and they tell me to call you. You tell me that you
will order the part from Toshiba, they send it to you, then you'll send it to me?

Rep:
. . . yes.

Me:
Why can't Toshiba just send me the part?

Rep:
Well, they have a store, but they don't sell parts, just accessories. But if you want them ship it to you it'll be . . . $30.00 S&H; If we send it to you, it's only $12.00 S&H.

Me:
So it costs me less to have Toshiba send it you and then you send it to me, than for Toshiba to send it directly to me.

Rep:
That's correct.

Me:
Fine, whatever, I just need it ASAP.


So, couple this with an extended holiday weekend that provided my 1 and 3 year olds with copious amounts of sugar and one might imagine what sort of a mood I'm in. Just have to hang in there 'till Thursday . . . Oh well, hopefully I can get caught up painting the 36 Slugga Boyz that have been patiently waiting their turn for some attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment