Thursday, May 21, 2009

Art: An Early Attempt at Sequential Art

One of the items on the multi-volume epic that is my life's to-do list is produce a graphic novel. To that end, I set out to hone my sequential art skills using excerpts from some of my favorite authors. The intent was to do 3-page sets from several prominent - though very different - comics.

I got one page into it before getting distracted with another project.

I happened across this page when I flipped open a long-neglected drawing pad for a new project. It is somewhere between 4 and 5 years old. The page is based on Neil Gaiman's script for The Sandman (issue 24, I think) - Part 3 in the Season of Mists. Comicbookscriptarchive.com has a copy of it on their website, if you're interested in reading it.


This was done on an 11" x 14" drawing pad (70 lb paper, moderately rough tooth). Industry standard is 11" x 17" which is then reduced by 60%(?), so I had to try and scale it accordingly (approximately 75%). I enhanced the contrast and lowered the brightness around the edges of the page so you could see the measurements I used.

There are a few things I like about it, and a bunch of others I do not.

1 comment: