Thursday, March 19, 2009

40K: DE Archon on Jetbike Tutorial (pt. 2/2)

Step 13: After an evening of filing the stumps of the legs, I was finally able to fit the torso into the shallow impression I had drilled in the Eldar biker's legs.

Step 14:
The pack on the back of the gunner's torso was hitting the back of the seat, so I had to cut it off using an X-acto knife and clippers. Be very careful when cutting metal with an X-acto knife!

Step 15: I put a mark on the torso and the legs to help me glue it at the right angle. The torso required pinning to the legs because there just wasn't enough surface area with glue on it to hold the torso securely in place. The pin actually went through the legs and will go into the seat of the bike a tiny bit.

Step 16:
The biker's left arm was cut at the elbow so it could be re-glued at a better angle.

Step 17: The upper arm was filed slightly and glued to the torso. I sat the body on the bike so I could get a good idea of the angle needed.

Step 18: The forearm was filed out around the elbow to fit the upper arm better. A pin might have been a good idea here, but it would have had to been bent lest it stick out of the arm. I just didn't have the patience for that.

Step 19a: The forearm is glued to the upper arm. Again, I sat the body on the bike to I could be sure an glue it at the proper angle. The string in the picture is holding the body in the correct position until the glue dries.

19b: Here is another shot of the glued forearm and the angle of the torso. I wanted the rider to have a more dynamic,aggressive pose than simply sitting on the bike with both hands on the handlebars.

Step 20: The Agonizer arm is pinned to the torso. It looks huge on the rider by himself, but the bike helps it to appear a little more natural - well, as natural as a sadistic drug-crazed maniac on a flying bike brandishing a bladed glove might appear.

Step 21: The arm is glued into place. I postitioned it back a little to accomodate the wires on the back of the arm as well as to give the impression that he might be drawing back for a strike.

21b: Another shot of the Agonizer arm from the side.

Step 22: While the body is drying, it's time to add some dark character to the jetbike. I used some leftover bitz from my Raiders and Ravagers to enhance the Dark Eldar feel of the bike. Greenstuff was then used to hide seams and fill gaps once the glue dried.

Step 23: Some spikes were added to the legs and the left arm. Greenstuff was used to fill the gaps and seams, especially where the torso and legs were glued together. I try not to use too many blades and spikes for my Dark Eldar because I don't want them mistaken for the many Chaos armies at the two game stores in my area.

Step 24: More greenstuff was used to build up the tricep of the left arm and the back of the torso where the pack was cut off. I put grooves in it to mimic the ribbing of the Dark Eldar armor.

Step 25a & b: Here's the finished model. It is important to note that it is NOT glued together! I am keeping the model separate until after I get it painted, then I will glue it together.

25c & d: Two more shots of the finished model, awaiting paint.

Step 26: OH NO! I forgot to convert the tormentor helm (Good thing I hadn't undercoated it yet)! I had to clip the end off of a Splinter Pistol and file it to fit the curve of the helmet's crest. I could have added some more detail to the side of the helmet, but I was ready to paint.

That's it for the actual converting and modeling portion of this model. Hope it was useful!

I apologize for the inconsistency in the quality of the photos. I'm still new to photographing miniatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment