I'm going to attempt a moderate shift in my lifestyle.
The goal is to see if a few extra hours at the beginning of the day are better for productivity and creativity than those last few extra late hours I always seem to spend staring blankly at the monitor or flipping through the few channels we get, disgusted at the lack of interesting programs.
My current average routine looks something like this:
- 7:15-30 am: Reluctantly get up, slowly help get the kids dressed, get a shower, go to work
- 8:05 - 8:15 am: Arrive at work (I'm supposed to be there at 8:00)
- Work 'till 5:00 pm - not much I can do here
- 5:15 pm: Arrive home (5:30 if I stop at the game store, 6:00 if I go to the comic book store), eat dinner with the family
- 6:00 - 7:00 pm: Kids run wild, usually try to get a load of dishes, pick up toys; sometimes we'll go out to eat or need to pick up something from the store
- 7:15-30 pm: Get kids ready for bed, tuck 'em in (occasionally they'll be up 'till 8, rarely later)
- 7:30-10:00: Wife and usually I do personal stuff - pay bills, freelance work, paint 40K, WiiFit, Facebook (her, not me), sometimes art - often on the couch while watching TV together
- 10:00-???: I continue to work on personal stuff and/or play games while the wife goes to bed. If I don't build up some momentum on a project by this point, it's hopeless and I'll turn to video games. Nothing worthwhile on TV at this point.
- 12:00 am: Bedtime, usually - not unusual for it to be later.
- 5:30 am: Wake up, go downstairs and do WiiFit for 30 min. (seriously)
- 6:00 am: Shower, get dressed for work
- 6:30 am: Dedicated art time - probably start out doing digital speedpaints - go from there
- 7:00 am: Kids are up, getting them ready for school, wife gets ready for work - I may find a little extra personal time once they're out the door - but I definitely need to be on the road no later than 7:45 am
- 8:00 am - 9:59 pm: Keep it the same for now, maybe try to structure evenings better
- 10:00 pm: Bedtime, no if's, and's, or but's
- Coordinating new routine with the wife's-get-up-and-shower time
- Making sure not to snack or have caffeine after . . . 7:00 pm (?). Don't wanna be lying awake after 10 pm.
- May need some additional structuring after the kids are in bed.
- Getting up and going to bed the first couple of days is going to be a challenge.
So congratulations, you've just been incorporated into my scheme to become more creative and productive.
Ultimately, I hope that this will lead to more posts on here. But let's just take it one day at a time, okay?